The Eight Powers of Leadership
The following may be considered by many to be "BFO's" - Blinding flashes of the obvious - however we felt that we should share them as they do portray a slightly different angle on Leadership.
1. The Power to "Face up':
- Willingness to demonstrate the person beyond the "Public mask"
2. The Power to "Pack up":
- The Past
- Look for a collaborative future
- Embrace the inner adult
3. The Power to Discern:
- Use the Philosophy of Epistemology
- Life is the sum of our experiences and shapes how we think
- Experience is learning
- Always search for "the pimple on the face of beauty"
4. The Power to be Decisive:
- Make decisions and show the way
- Make the tough calls early
5. The Power to Merge:
- Take different viewpoints - shift to the possibility of hope
6. The Power to tolerate:
- Seek to understand
- Difference in culture
- Different beliefs
- Go below the surface structure
7. The Power to withdraw:
- One hour a day to stop and reflect
- Know thyself to know others
8. The Power to Co-Operate:
- To seek Co-Operation
- To walk alongside
- Develop/engage in team collegiality
The 8 Powers of Leadership was presented by Colin James who was a keynote presenter at our TEC (The Executive Connection) "Down Under" conference in Sydney some time ago. This information was taken from the notes I took during his presentation.
Barry T Knight - To learn more about Colin James go to: http://www.colinjames.com.au/about/default.asp